Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana Exterior

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana Exterior

The Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana is in the middle of nowhere.

You won’t believe how we managed to find this tucked away Clinton County bakery!

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana Homemade Bread

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana Homemade Bread

The Nunemaker Family Circus flew by a small sign that read simply: “Bakery” with the detailed directions that consisted of an arrow pointing down a random road to nowhere.

We turned around, went down “Bob’s Road” (to steal a line from Twister), made a turn or two, and there it was.

In the middle of a bunch of farmland, a sign for fresh eggs just down the street, and a scattering of homes, we found the Flour Mill Bakery.

Rossville, Indiana Bakery

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana Lemon Cookies

Flour Mill Bakery in Rossville, Indiana Amazing Lemon Cookies

I opened the door to a magical place. Bulk food in plain packaging, fresh bakery items lined the walls. The women looked very Amish-like–until one lady answered her ringing cellphone.

While I was taking pictures of this awesome Indiana bakery, Hubs learned that the Flour Mill Bakery is run by German Baptists. The lady had the maiden name of Nunemaker! Small world, eh?

Spices, seasoning, flours, baking things, sprinkles, and cheese–they fit a whole lot of bulk goods in a relatively small space. We left with a loaf of honey wheat bread, a container of sprinkles, a package of lemon cookies, and a sprinkled donut for the kid.

We broke into the cookies in the car even though I don’t think it was even 9 AM our time!  It was so worth it.  You know by now that I love soft cookies and lemon (remember my yummy Lemon Ginger Cookies) and these were full of lemony goodness with just a blip of lemony icing on the top.

From Black Raspberry Pie to Butterscotch Meringue Pie, even Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie, Caramel Apple Pie, and Indiana’s state pie, Sugar Cream Pie, they’ve got it!

Go There

The Flour Mill Bakery has such a great assortment of goods–and the prices are incredible! Middle of nowhere or not, I will be back, and I recommend that you go, too.

Small Towns: Destinations, not Drive-Thrus! I’m Jessica Nunemaker and THIS is little Indiana!

Just don’t forget to tell ’em that  little Indiana sent you!

Flour Mill Bakery, Bulk Foods, and Cheese
6580 W Co Rd 800 N
Rossville, Indiana 46065
765.379.9995

View Larger Map

Targeted. Relevant. Affordable! little Indiana advertising.

You don't want to miss this. Sign up for free updates.

About the Author:

Jessica Nunemaker is the Owner of Little Indiana.com. More than a website, Little Indiana is a book, "Little Indiana: Small Town Destinations" (IU Press) awarded first place in the "Best in Indiana Journalism for a Nonfiction Book" by the Indiana Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Little Indiana is also a bi-monthly newspaper column in a local paper and a PBS segment on the former Emmy award-winning program, "The Weekly Special."

20 Comments

1. Debby October 6, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I ordered the cinnamon rolls. Omg they were amazing. I’m hoping to get back out there soon for more!

2. Jessica Nunemaker April 30, 2015 at 9:44 pm

LOVE it! So roomy and bright!

3. Kelsi March 14, 2015 at 3:59 pm

The Flour Mill moved to a new location in late 2014! They can now be found at 5350 W Main Street in Rossville.

Still the same great goodies in a larger space! 🙂

4. Jessica Nunemaker October 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Ha ha ha! That is awesome! 🙂 Thanks Chelsea!

5. Chelsea October 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I used to work at the Bakery, and you could not ask for a better baked good or employees to have!! Everything is delicious ^-^ Definitely worth the trip, you won’t regret it…ever! As some of the employees say…”we bake all the calories out of it and bake it with love” 🙂

6. Jessica Nunemaker August 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I’ll have to remember those cookies for next time! My list of items to try from there is getting rather long! Ha ha! 🙂

7. Geny Szabela August 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love Flour Mill Bakery and have grown up eating their delicious treats. It is definitely worth the trip. I recently moved to Maryland and made sure to pick up some of their iced sour cream cookies. They are my favorite. Baylee is right, Skiles Market is also very wonderful.

8. Jessica Nunemaker August 7, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Love that small town pride. 🙂 OH I want to try one of their long john doughnuts! That sounds so good. Just a great little town all around.

9. Baylee August 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

I grew up in Rossville, so I love reading stories about it! The Flour Mill Bakery is definitely a treasure to the small Rossville community, but it has been getting a lot more attention from the surrounding areas as of late. I am so glad to see them gaining more success and notoriety. I practically lived off of their cream filled, chocolate covered Long John doughnuts when I was younger! YUMMY! Rossville may not have a stop light(just a blinking red light), but they do have one of the best bakeries ever! Skiles Market is also another gem in the community. I am very proud to be from Rossville! Go Hornets:)

10. Tiffani October 6, 2010 at 6:02 am

Yesterday we were at Skiles Orchard (my favorite place since we recently moved back to Indiana) and heard another customer asking about this place and saw a little sign on the wall. Unfortunately, it was already closed for the day, but I can’t wait to drive back up there and check it out! I was glad to find your post as I was wondering what kind of bulk foods and baked goods they carried and learned a little more from this!
    .-= Tiffani´s last blog ..Field trip =-.

11. Paul July 6, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Yes! It is a very large orchard and greenhouse. My mom lives just down the road and would also always buy her flowers right out of that greenhouse.

The German Baptist lady that owns it has gotten a little older and so I think they may have not done apple cider last year.

Home sweet home!

12. Jessica Nunemaker June 29, 2010 at 11:06 am

@Melissa Thank you for sharing that story! You had the luckiest location for a house EVER! 😉 Blueberry donuts are my favorite too. SO good!

13. Melissa Hodson-Ostler June 29, 2010 at 11:02 am

At one point in history, they where located in a little back alley of Rossville, cranking out donoughts at all hours….right behind my house! I can still imagine that heavenly smell. What a treat it was to pop in a get a blueberry cake donut. Hmmmm, you have inspired me to swing in there soon. How proud I am of all that work there, they have put in countless efforts to pave their own way. A great Clinton County asset 🙂

14. Lindsay @ Just My Blog June 29, 2010 at 7:20 am

Stopping by from SITS and I’ve got to say…that post made me hungry. No fair! 🙂

15. Felipe Colby June 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I may live in Honduras…but when I want a fix and know someone is coming this way from the Rossville area…nothing satisfies quite like their chocolate crinkle cookies, which are just like Grandma used to make. Glad you found it!

16. Jessica Nunemaker June 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm

@Paul — I would have to double-check but we might just have gone there. Was it a huge greenhouse and orchard? That’s an upcoming post. Beautiful place!

@Jeff — I KNEW I should have grabbed the cream horns! BLARGH! You are actually in Rossville then — how lucky you are to be able to head over whenever you want! I’ll have to try both the cinnamon rolls and the cream horns the next time I’m out there — and there WILL be a next time! ha ha!

17. Jeff Stevens June 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm

If you ever get to go to The Flour Mill again, make sure to try their Cinnamin Rolls. They are huge and so very, very good. Everything they make there is wonderful!! The Cream Horns are my favorite. Better than any others around. Living in Rossville makes them our local bakery!!

18. Paul June 22, 2010 at 8:30 am

I grew up in Rossville and lived on their baked goods. I’ve since moved away and quite often miss it.

If you would have gone on the random road the other direction, you would have ended up at Skiles Market where they have the best fresh fruit and apple cider.

19. Jessica Nunemaker June 20, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Thanks!

It was so much fun — I am just constantly amazed by the awesome things tucked away in little Indiana. I have met the nicest people, eaten incredible food, and toured the most amazing historical sites. It really IS a lot of fun!

20. Arlene June 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

How fun to take little unexpected detours – especially when it ended like your little adventure did. Everything looks amazing. I can just imagine how all of it must have smelled and tasted. Good find!
    .-= Arlene´s last blog ..Brios Gulfstream Tuscan Grille =-.