This marks the start of a new series at little Indiana: Indiana Blogs! If you are an Indiana Blogger, please use the contact form and send me an email. You may be featured right here on little Indiana.
Arrows Sent Forth is an Indiana blog with a mix of things: US travel, travel advice, and even the occasional giveaway.
Once a frequent world traveler, this Columbus, Indiana mom now stays slightly closer to home. She branches out and explores the country, sharing the joys of travel with her hubby and young son (with another on the way).
Dig in and enjoy another featured Indiana blogger–you’ll enjoy reading about their family adventures!
Indiana Blogs: Arrows Sent Forth
Why did you start Arrows Sent Forth?
I started Arrows Sent Forth a little more than a year ago (July of 2010). I was looking for a way to share our experience of learning to travel and get out of the house more with our young son. I wanted to capture these memories for my own family, while also encouraging other families to get out and do more with their kids.
I feel passionately about introducing the world to our kids, even if it’s just right outside your very own backyard. Arrows Sent Forth is a way for me to share that passion with others.
My husband and I stumbled on the quote “You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth” by Kahlil Gibran not long after having our son. It really summed up our parenting philosophy and we reflected on it often. Because my blog is all about going on adventures, near and far, with kids, it seemed like a good fit for the blog when I got started.
What are three of your favorite posts?
- 100 Acres at the Indianapolis Museum of Art
- I think this post sums up what I try to do with my blog. It’s got a bit of a description of our time at the park, some fun photos, and some tips to make a trip there with young kids easier. Plus, this is one of my favorite spots in Indy.
- Why We Love Rental Properties When Traveling as a Family
- This is one of my more popular posts, and I’m so glad. While a lot of my posts are reflections on our time at a particular destination, I occasionally write posts with more practical information and tips we’ve learned throughout our travels. One of my best pieces of advice for a family just starting to travel with kids is to rent a place instead of staying in a hotel. This post goes into several of the reasons why.
- Falls of the Ohio State Park
- Another one of my favorite spots in Indiana. Sometimes I let the pictures do most of the talking in my posts, and this is an example of that. I’m a huge fan of state parks, nature centers, wildlife refuges, etc., and I write a lot about our time at these places.
What keeps you ready and raring to post? Why do you blog?
Anytime we go someplace new, I always come home very inspired to share our experience with my readers. I also really enjoy writing in general, so the actual process of crafting a post is fun for me.
I’m always on the hunt for new and fun outing ideas, and I hope I’ve been a source of some of those ideas for other families. I love when I hear from readers that they visited an attraction or destination because I wrote about it on my blog. That’s the exact purpose I hope my blog fills for people who visit it.
If you could have a super power, what would it be?
Teleportation. While I love to travel, my least favorite part is the process of getting from Point A to Point B, not to mention the expense of that!
Just imagine how many places we could visit if all we had to do was snap our fingers, and we’d be there. A weekend away could be a Friday night Broadway show in New York City, snorkeling on a Saturday afternoon in Australia, and brunch in Paris on Sunday. No baggage fees, security lines, or jet lag!
Then again, I’d probably miss slow drives through the country. I guess that’s why we’re not superheroes!
Anything else you would like little Indiana readers to know about your blog?
I also write several posts per month on Visit Indiana’s blog, the Indiana Insider. You can see my work for that blog here. So a lot of my content on Arrows Sent Forth is Indiana-specific.
I think raising kids in Indiana is so much fun because the Midwest in general is so family-friendly. I’d love to hear from little Indiana readers about some of their favorite destinations, day trips and outings.
Whew! Nicole certainly keeps busy. Thanks for stopping by little Indiana–and congrats on the little one soon on the way!
Small Towns: Destinations, not Drive-Thrus! I’m Jessica Nunemaker and THIS is little Indiana!
Just don’t forget to tell ’em that little Indiana sent you!
Don’t miss a moment. Subscribe to little Indiana and receive instant updates to stay on top of everything “little.”
Targeted. Relevant. Affordable! little Indiana advertising.