Best Dutch Apple Pancake Recipe
Dutch Apple Pancake recipes like this one are a showstopper! Easy to throw together and quick, too–it’s a family-pleaser yet attractive enough for company.
Around the little Indiana household, we really only eat hot breakfasts. This Dutch Apple Pancake recipe, also known as Pannekoeken, was a hit with everyone.
Kid #2 was impressed by the puff and Kid #1 was excited to eat a breakfast food that looked like his favorite dessert: apple pie. From the Dulce Dough blog.
Dutch Apple Pancake (Pannekoeken) Recipe
I highly recommend throwing a dusting of Powdered Sugar over the top. It looks extra great!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- Powdered Sugar (Optional, though a dusting over the top looks great!)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 2 Medium Cooking Apples, Peeled, Cored, and Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 425* oven.
- Put 2 Tablespoons Butter into pie plate and set on middle oven rack.
- Meanwhile, beat Eggs in large bowl. Add Milk, Salt, and Flour. Mix well until batter is smooth.
- When Butter is melted, tilt it around pan and pour in Egg mixture.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes WITHOUT opening oven door. It will rise and puff as it bakes. Edges will look browned and crisp.
- Combine Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg in bowl.
- Add in Apples and mix to cover.
- Melt Butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Add in Apple Mixture and cook over medium heat until apples are tender.
- Spoon over the hot and cooked pancake.
- Sprinkle with Powdered Sugar, if desired. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Photos are the Property of little Indiana. Do Not Use Without Permission.
Find pictures in Indiana
on my Flickr photostream or on the new little Indiana Tumblr blog
Just don’t forget to tell ‘em that little Indiana sent you!
Don’t miss a moment. Subscribe to little Indiana and receive instant updates to stay on top of everything “little.”
little Indiana: Where to Stay, Play, and Eat in Small Towns in Indiana. Discovering Indiana’s best small towns! Now get little Indiana on your Kindle.
Targeted. Relevant. Affordable! little Indiana advertising.